As a teenager and young adult, I always loved going to parties. But ever since children came in to the picture, the amount of party invitations I received have been rapidly declining. That’s why I was thrilled when my husband told me that my presence was required at his company office party. And this one could actually be fun being that my husband does not work for a stuffy law firm, but rather one of the biggest music rehearsal studios in the world, catering to a clientele of unbelievably famous rock and pop stars. While I’m sure none of the clients will be at the party, at least it will be somewhat of a rock n’ roll crowd.
However, since I have not been to a party in a while, my husband and I had to have a long talk about what is considered proper party etiquette for a person my age and I’m not so sure I am looking forward to the party any more.
My husband has specifically told me I am forbidden from:
1)Telling all his colleagues that I am not his wife but in fact a prostitute he paid to escort him to the party and then passing around my ‘business cards’ to some of his coworkers
2) Asking the boss’ wife if she can refer me to a good plastic surgeon
3) Asking May from accounting how far along she is (May is not pregnant)
4) Taking my husband’s boss aside and asking him to give my husband a raise while showing him pictures of our poor children
5)Taking my husband’s boss aside and asking him if it would be possible to introduce me to Mick Jagger, what Mick Jagger is really like and whether he thinks we would hit it off
6) If I must sing karaoke, I am strictly forbidden from doing my best bump and grind while performing an embarrassingly erotic version of “Santa Baby” ( and by the way, all dancing on the bar is, well, off the table)
7)The wearing of lampshades and togas is strictly prohibited
8) And absolutely, positively, under no circumstances, am I to fax a picture of my breasts to corporate.
Party, schmarty, I think I’ll just stay home!!
- Crazy Office Holiday Party Stories (kvil.cbslocal.com)
- Are You Acting Appropriately At Your Office Holiday Party: The Flowchart (new102.cbslocal.com)
- Pop quiz: holiday party edition (hridiot.wordpress.com)
- Some Great Office Christmas Party Ideas (meritline.com)
- 12 Survival Tips For The Office Holiday Party (businessinsider.com)
- The True Cost of “Santa Baby” (thehairpin.com)
- Uniform / Holiday Party (heartandhabit.com)
- ‘Tis the season for awkward interactions: How to survive the office holiday party (mydoorsign.com)
- Dressing Appropriately for the Office Holiday Party (livingfiesta.com)